The studio that once belonged to Arturo Toscanini (1867-1957) comes from the maestro’s home in Via Durini in Milan. Its furniture and furnishings were donated to the Conservatory by Toscanini’s heirs in 1976, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the founding of the public music school in Parma.
Toscanini was a pupil of the Royal Music School of Parma – which then became the Conservatory – and graduated in cello and composition in 1885. In 1886, he travelled to Rio de Janeiro to perform as a cellist. While there, during a performance of the Aida, he replaced the conductor, who had abandoned the podium; thus began his stellar career as a conductor.
The studio comprises a library of about one thousand literary and non-fiction books, sheet and scores music gifted by fellow musicians, the Steinway baby grand piano he received as a present from his son-in-law Vladimir Horowitz, works of art including two portraits by Vittore Grubicy, bronze sculptures by Pavel Trubeckoj, a portrait by Leonardo Bistolfi and several photographs.
The maestro’s music library, which was donated to the New York Library, can be consulted thanks to the latter’s generosity.
Arturo Toscanini’s studio is part of the Conservatory’s “Riccardo Barilla” Historical Museum.