The painting and engraving from 1913 were made by Morandi during one of his first summers in Grizzana, on the Bologna Apennines, at Casa Veggetti. In the 1950s, Morandi and his sisters built a home in Grizzana on the spot where Morandi painted his landscapes: Fienili del Campiaro, Casa Veggetti, Villa Tonelli, Case della Sete, and Lilame, with the Veggio hills in the background. In 1994, his sister Maria Teresa donated the house to the municipal administration so that it could be opened to visitors, especially the workshop with the objects that inspired Morandi’s paintings: vases, bottles, jugs, his tools, and his library. In the engraving, the village is set like a gemstone between the badlands and the hillside, adorned with a stylized version of the typical local cypresses: a landscape made of horizontal bands that draw in the viewer, much like Cézanne’s work. The painting instead depicts a local country lane known as Campiaro on a bright sunny day, and featuring a great many different shades of green. In the 1962 landscape paintings, Campiaro’s homes are seen head-on: the stillness of the composition invites silent contemplation, like all the works by this poet of painting.