Strada Maggiore, 44
The museum was opened in 1924 in the 17th century Palazzo Bargellini. The seven exhibition halls still reflect their original arrangement, which was meant to bring to life an 18th century furnished apartment in Bologna; they display the Davia Bargellini painting collection, which includes works such as Vitale da Bologna’s Madonna dei Denti, Simone dei Crocefissi’s Pietà, Jacopo di Paolo’s Saint John the Baptist and Michele di Matteo’s Evangelist, along with paintings by Prospero and Lavinia Fontana, Giuseppe Maria, and Luigi Crespi. Sculpture from Bologna is represented by statuettes by Giuseppe Maria Mazza and Angelo Gabriello Piò, and crèche figures in the 18th and 19th centuries. There is an important collection of applied arts and “curios from old Bologna” of various origins, such as wrought iron works and an 18th century painted and glided carriage.