MAR – Art Museum of the City of Ravenna

Via di Roma, 13

48121 Ravenna

0544 482477

The Art Museum of the City of Ravenna, which has had Institution status since 2002, is housed in the monumental compound known as Loggetta Lombardesca. The first nucleus of the civic art gallery dates back to 1829, with the acquisition of works belonging to suppressed religious corporations, which made up the Gallery of the Academy, which would eventually be re-arranged by Corrado Ricci and feature over 300 works from the 14th to the 20th centuries.

The re-structuring of many rooms on the building’s ground floor and first floor made it possible to recover extensive exhibition space for the art gallery’s permanent collections and for staging international exhibitions.

In 2004, the International Documentation Centre on Mosaics was established to promote the study and valorisation of mosaics.