The International Museum of Ceramics, founded in 1908, has the largest collection of ceramics in the world. It documents ceramic pottery worldwide over a span of five millennia, with over 30,000 complete pieces and thousands of shards. It features over 8,000 square meters of display space, well-equipped depositories accessible to scholars, a specialized library with over 60,000 volumes, and a photo archive of Italian majolica pottery.
It hosts a restoration laboratory and an educational workshop (set up by the designer Bruno Munari) the latter targets schools of all levels and teachers. The museum has a well-stocked bookshop, and since 1913 it publishes Faenza, an international journal devoted to majolica and glazen earthenware.