Largo Porta Sant’Agostino, 337
|059 203 3100|
The Civic Art Museum was established in 1962 when the 19th century museum was divided into two distinct institutes, one focusing on archaeology, the other on history and art. Founded in 1871, since 1886 the Museum has been housed the 18th century Palazzo dei Musei. The collections, built through prestigious donations, acquisitions, and locally-recovered artwork, documents numerous aspects of Modena’s history and culture from the 12th to the 20th centuries through a wide array of works currently The museum houses the Valdrighi collection (musical instruments).
Quite remarkably, the basic layout of the 19th century museum has survived to this day, thanks to museum conservation efforts carried out in the 1980s. The museum is also active locally through the conservation and valorisation of municipally-owned art, and is also responsible for coordinating the Modena UNESCO site, which includes the Duomo, the “Ghirlandina” Tower, and Piazza Grande.