National Museum – Ravenna

The initial core of the collection was put together in the Classe monastery by Enrico Pazzi between 1884 and 1885, and focused on works collected during the 18th century by the Camaldoli monks. Since 1913-14, the museum has been housed in the San Vitale convent, adjacent to some of the most important artistic monuments in Ravenna, such as the San Vitale Basilica and the Galla Placidia Mausoleum.

The museum’s holdings comprise an eclectic, extraordinary mix of historical, archaeological, and art collections displayed in ancient cloisters and in the rooms of the former Benedictine convent, altogether covering over 5,000 square meters.